Rising damp can pose a serious problem to homeowners and, if left untreated, can lead to mould, structural damage and health hazards.

In an older house, rising damp is not only more likely to occur, but it can be more difficult to treat than in newer, more modern homes.

If you’re wondering how to treat rising damp in an old house, the experts at Danford, Brewer & Ives are here to explain everything you need to know.

Why Does Rising Damp Affect Older Houses?

Rising damp is best defined as an upward movement of water through the walls of a building. Water moves from ground level upwards using capillary action to rapidly spread through the bricks and masonry of a home.

There can be many reasons as to why buildings are affected by rising damp. Common causes including flooding, excess groundwater, leaks, or broken infrastructure such as drains and pipes.

While these problems can affect all houses, older houses are particularly susceptible because they might not have a protective damp proof course installed. Older houses dating back to the 19th century were not built with a damp proof course, or DPC, which modern houses have as standard. Without a waterproof damp proof course, it’s much easier for water to seep into walls from the outside.

How to Treat Rising Damp in an Old House

Rising damp needs to be treated quickly in order to limit the potential damage it might cause to a property.

In older houses, rising damp commonly occurs because a damp proof course has never been installed. If a damp proof course is installed, then it’s also possible that an old DPC may have failed. If this is the case, the best way to treat rising damp in an old house is to have a new damp proof course installed.

Depending on the extent of the rising damp problem, rotten timbers or damaged sections of wall or masonry affected by the damp may need to be removed and replaced, before a chemical damp proof course is injected into the walls.

Another issue that may need fixing is rising groundwater. Over time, the DPC may slip below the waterline, therefore becoming redundant. If this has occurred, then the soil can be dug out around a home to make the DPC more effective.

A damp specialist can quickly check if there is a damp proof course, or if there is another cause of rising damp. Because of the potential complications and dangers involved when working on older houses, particularly those dating back to the Victorian era or beyond, it’s always recommended to call in a professional specialist if you believe your home might have rising damp.

Contact‌ ‌Danford,‌ ‌Brewer‌ ‌&‌ ‌Ives‌ ‌to‌ ‌Find‌ ‌Out‌ ‌More‌ ‌About‌ Treating Rising Damp

For‌ ‌more‌ ‌information‌ ‌and‌ ‌advice‌ ‌on‌ how to treat rising ‌damp‌ ‌in an old house,‌ ‌please‌ ‌contact‌ ‌our‌ ‌friendly‌ ‌team‌ ‌on‌ ‌01765‌ ‌804050‌ ‌or‌ ‌fill‌ ‌in‌ ‌our‌ ‌‌online‌ ‌contact‌ ‌form‌.‌ ‌

Our‌ ‌experienced‌ ‌specialists‌ ‌will‌ ‌be‌ ‌on‌ ‌hand‌ ‌and‌ ‌ready‌ ‌to‌ ‌offer‌ ‌expert‌ ‌advice‌ ‌tailored‌ ‌to‌ ‌resolve‌ ‌your‌ ‌problem.‌